When a piece speaks to me for distressing, my first choice is usually our Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint. It gives that authentic layered and sometimes chippy cracked look I love.
You can also easy to get that look with Fusion Mineral Paint, but it’s something I haven’t tried. Until now and here’s how I did it!
1. As always, prep is the most important step. Scrub your piece with TSP or any other degreasing cleaner you have on hand (I love Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner). Damp wipe and let dry. Sand lightly and vacuum.
2. If your piece has a glossy, hard to grip surface such as a lacquered surface or laminate and you’re worried the surface may be tricky, apply one layer of Ultra Grip. Allow to dry for 12 hours.
3. In lots of cases, your piece may already painted. So if you want to replicate an old wood piece, paint a layer or two with Chocolate Fusion Mineral Paint. The chocolate layer (the wood!) will show through the subsequent layers. Be sure to allow 12 hours between coats.
4. After the chocolate was thoroughly dry, I quickly painted a layer of Champlain Fusion Mineral Paint. I didn’t worry about great coverage and so didn’t go back where I missed with the first strokes. I wanted the Chocolate ”wood" to show. You can use a damp rag to rub back the Champlain back in the natural distressing areas - those areas that would wear off naturally with years of use such as on certain edges, around handles curved areas. Fusion dries quickly, so wipe back as you go and do not wait until you have finished the entire piece!
5. After 12 hours of dry time, I dry brushed on using Champness Fusion Mineral Paint. Dip your brush to pick up the smallest amount of paint. Then run your brush over a fresh paper towel or cardboard to remove some of the paint. Now paint your piece with a very light and quick touch. The paint dries real quick so if you must remove any do it right away. or touch up later with more dry brushing. It fun to keep layering it until you get the look you want.
Love how it turned out and it's available in the shop for $150